Saturday 31 May 2014

Indulging in the outback

This week I had an adventure in the outback.  I drove 850kms from Melbourne to Broken Hill (and loved every minute of it - amazing landscapes, funny characters and warm friendly country hospitality).  On the way up, I had a fantastic steak sandwich (with perfectly cooked steak) at the Mildura micro brewery (run by Stefano of 'Gondola on the Murray' fame).


Loved the coffee fudge ice-cream at the local gelateria:


Excellent spicy chicken and eggplant enchiladas at the Palace Hotel in Broken Hill (famous for its murals painted by a long term resident in the 1950s):


Incredible ceiling (all the walls were covered... the staircase murals were particularly beautiful, but the light was not so good there):


Two up game after dinner (the murals made a fantastic backdrop):


On the way back from Broken Hill, I had the slow cooked beef lasagne at Stefano's art cafe (I think it might be the best lasagne I have ever had... the meat was so soft and in big chunks).  I am a big fan of the earthenware dish too. 


The Persian love cake and iced lemon cake were interesting, but quite unusual textures... not too sweet... both quite wet (and eaten before I had a chance to take photos).

Such wonderful foodie experiences along the Murray and in the dessert...

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment